Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Hobo Chic


So cardboard bed, kinda silly, right? Wrong. It actually makes a lot of sense. I'm slightly obsessed with cardboard as a building material, pass time, and all-around plaything. Its fun, its cheap, and easy to find. What's not to love!? And that's exactly what makes it perfect for my bed. I dont really mind dedicating time to desinging/building a bed, but I definitely do mind dropping a bill or two on it. So, I wont.

I heard and read a lot about how cardboard (and paper, in general?) is particularly good for retaining heat. Theres a reason why the downtrodden often use cardboard as a building material. This, of course, is an entirely different situation, but with similar goals in mind.

Now, don't be fooled by those silly european design firms that'll try to sell you a cardboard bed for $300. I mean, it's a neat bed, but i dont know. Its just a bunch of cardboard. but this guy knows whats up. What I'm going for is maybe somewhere in the middle, part high design , part stack. Here is a small test model that I made:
I took a sheet of cardboard and cut it into 1"x20" strips. I'm taking these strips and weaving them together. The strips are going to be held in place by pieces of twine. The beauty of this weaving system is that it takes a two dimensional surface (which would be enough to grant me more insulation/heat retention) that when woven together, creates a third dimension (this third dimension fulfills the other goal of softness/being elevated off the ground). Granted that I'm not really elevated, just liften slightly above it at certain points. But really, that's all I'm looking for: A tiny bit of elevation.

You'll notice that the pictures I posted yesterday featured weaving patterns and motifs. While those pictures were chosen for that very reason, it should be stated that my weaving and their weaving are two totally different kinds of construction. The chairs and beds from yesterday use a weaving system that is in tension (that is, the weave is attached to the frame of the bed/chair and maintains a roughly taught surface). My weave is not in tension, it just sort of sits there. The reason for that is that I don't know that tension is really necessary for my application. I want the illusion of tension, the vaguest and most subtle hint at being lifted off the ground.

upcycle, please

Antonio Pacheco

No comments:

 
web log statistics
web log statistics